Every Day is Women's Day at SingletrackWorld

 

It's International Women's Day again, and honestly, it's not my favorite day of the year. If you don't do anything, people assume you don't care about IWD. If you speak up about the tokenism and ongoing inequality, some will say you're being too negative and ask why you're not focusing on the positive stuff. If you celebrate women, well, that's what we do every day.


The latest issue of Singletrack World is filled with articles by and about women. However, it's not specifically for women; it's for everyone, just our usual content day in, day out. To mark International Women's Day, Hannah, Amanda, and Zoe have selected some favorite articles from over the years. We've removed the paywall so you can get a glimpse of what we do. If you enjoy it, consider joining us, either in print or digitally, and help us keep celebrating women and everyone who rides bikes throughout the year.


Amanda's Choice:

I'd share the entire Purposeful Adventures series if I could, as each piece is unique and wonderful. The series follows Pete Scullion and friends on rides with a nature-focused agenda, searching for specific animals, plants, or rocks as motivation. The rides maintain the fun of mountain biking without sacrificing the experience. It's a great motivator to explore, appreciate nature, and enjoy the company of fellow riders.


I've chosen to share the Beavers story because it features Rosie Holdsworth, who was heavily pregnant at the time. Her infectious love for animals and environmental care is something I've personally experienced.


Hannah's Choice:

This story has nothing to do with International Women's Day, but riding with women often leads to deep conversations beyond bikes. It's an older article, from a time when discussing mental health wasn't as accepted. I often say that bikes are just the common ground that brings us together, but once we're there, life in all its aspects gets discussed. This story combines adventure, sadness, hope, and disappointment in one epic bundle. I love narratives that go beyond the bike, and this one has stayed with me.


I joined Singletrack because I believed there must be more to life than endless meetings. I appreciate all bikes, especially the unusual ones. More than just the bikes, I value what they enable. Bikes connect people and places, creating a bond between us and our environment. Cycling forms communities, provides freedom, brings joy, and improves fitness. They're environmentally friendly and foster friendly environments. I write about these aspects, hoping others might discover the joy of bikes too.

Auto Refresh and Link Loop

Comments